Do you like history and antique machinery? Are you interested in preserving the history of how eastern South Dakota rural citizens lived many years ago? If so, then getting involved with Prairie Village, which is dedicated to actively preserving and demonstrating the past, is for you. It’s also a great way to meet other people with similar interests while also obtaining the personal satisfaction of knowing that you are directly helping to move Prairie Village dynamically forward.
Prairie Village was established on its present site in 1966. Volunteerism has been the backbone of the constant growth and success of the village over the span of those many years. All volunteer time and effort, big or small, is vital to our continued progression and it is always greatly appreciated!!
Here are some of the ways you can volunteer at Prairie Village:
- Help clean the historic buildings in preparation for the season
- Help with the railroad by being a conductor. We are in need of additional conductors.
- Become a member of the Ladies Auxiliary.
- Assist with the general upkeep of the grounds and buildings.
- Assist with the many special events that we conduct during the season.
- Take photos at Prairie Village events or otherwise while visiting the village. We can always use good photos for our archives, our website, and for use in advertising and promotional initiatives.
- Assist with our church services as a piano accompanist for our services that are held every Sunday at 8:00 a.m. from June 1 through the Jamboree.
51st Annual Steam Threshing Jamboree Aug. 23-25. Some of the areas where we need volunteers during the Jamboree include:
- People mover drivers. Tractor drivers to pull the people mover trailers that transport visitors between the parking lot and the admission gates. With the very large crowd expected, the people movers will provide a vitally important function. Contact board member Mark Bakker at 605-941-0501 if you would like to be a people mover driver.
- Hosts in the historic buildings and in the Chapel Car Emmanuel, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday – Sunday.
- Carousel ticket sellers and carousel operators
- Assisting in the village kitchen
- Assisting the cook shack crew in the cook shack
- Railroad ticket sellers in the depot
- Security personnel
NOTE: Our Lake Herman State Park neighbors are in need of volunteers to help with their Historic Luce Days on June 8. If interested call Tonna at 605-256-5003
If you have any questions or would like to express your desire to volunteer, contact the Prairie Village manager, Stan Rauch, at the office 800-693-3644, 605-256-3644, or cell 605-860-8887 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Volunteers who work 8 hours on a particular day at the village are entitled to a free night of camping either the night before or the night after. This policy does not apply during the Jamboree.