Do you like history and antique machinery? Are you interested in preserving the history of how eastern South Dakota rural citizens lived many years ago? If so, then getting involved with Prairie Village, which is dedicated to actively preserving and demonstrating the past, is for you. It’s also a great way to meet other people with similar interests while also obtaining the personal satisfaction of knowing that you are directly helping to move Prairie Village dynamically forward.
Prairie Village was established on its present site in 1966. Volunteerism has been the backbone of the constant growth and success of the village over the span of those many years. All volunteer time and effort, big or small, is vital to our continued progression and it is always greatly appreciated!!
On Saturday, April 22, 2017 starting at 9:00 a.m. we will have our annual spring work party to prepare the village for the season. This is when a bunch of volunteers can work together to accomplish a great deal in a short period of time. Lunch will be served.
Here are some other ways ways you can volunteer at Prairie Village:
- Help with the railroad by being a conductor. We are in need of additional conductors.
- Assist with the general upkeep of the grounds and buildings.
- Assist with the many special events that we conduct during the season.
- Take photos at Prairie Village events or otherwise while visiting the village. We can always use good photos for our archives, our website, and for use in advertising and promotional initiatives.
- Assist with our church services as a piano accompanist for our services that are held every Sunday at 8:00 a.m. from June 4 through the Jamboree.
The 55th Annual Steam Threshing Jamboree will be held Aug. 24-27, 2017. Some of the areas where we need volunteers during the Jamboree include:
- People mover drivers. Tractor drivers to pull the people mover trailers that transport visitors between the parking lot and the admission gates. With the very large crowd expected, the people movers will provide a vitally important function. Contact Mark Bakker at 605-941-0501 if you would like to be a people mover driver.
- Hosts in the historic buildings and in the Chapel Car Emmanuel, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday – Sunday.
- Carousel ticket sellers and carousel operators
- Assisting in the village kitchen
- Selling railroad tickets in the depot
- Selling ice
- Security personnel
If you have any questions or would like to express your desire to volunteer, contact the Prairie Village manager at the office 800-693-3644, 605-256-3644, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.