The opera house at Prairie Village was constructed in 1912 in Oldham, SD. It was built in commemoration of the Socialist Party, and was first called the Socialist Hall. It was constructed through donations by area citizens and party locals. Later the “-ist” from the building name was dropped, and it became the Social Hall.
When the building made its permanent home at Prairie Village in 1972, the Social Hall was renamed the “Lawrence Welk Opera House” in honor of bandleader Lawrence Welk who performed in the opera house in Oldham during his early career.
Now in its 100th year of existance, the opera house has been the venue for literally thousands of programs, performances, dances, social gatherings, and meetings.