The Junius School
January 1913 – May 1965
Constructed in the fall of 1912 the Junius School opened for students in January 1913. The eight grades were held in the first two rooms that were built. Grace Owens of Madison was the first teacher for all the grades. Other teachers to follow included: Prof. Ivan O’Brian, Ada Manson, Imogene Pierce, Anna O. Johnston, Viola Gross, Leora Laughlin and Edith McMillen.
Early students included: Tenie Maude Johnson, Clara Olson, Eddie Erickson, Stewart Schultz, Mark Owens, Henry Olson, Perle Pitts, William Olson, Carl Frautschy, William A. Johnson, Ervin Boyd, Alex Olson, Vern Merriam, Lloyd Standford, Harold Grant, Lyle Pitts, Ted Laughlin, Elmer Hammer, Warren Boyd, Joe McGrath, Jim Olsen, Lyle Pitzer, Ada Whitmore, Lousie Whitmore, Blanche Rohrer, Bernice Boyd, Evelyn Owens, Mamie Johnson, Irma Johnson, Carrie Frautschy, Blanche Hammer, Ruth Halverson, Harmon Boyd, Willie Grant, Theron Pitts, Eunice Rohrer, Marina Hien, Clara Rosendale, Frances Boyd, Minnie Gulbrandson, Bernice Merriam, Mildred Ross, Clarice Laughlin, Ella Olson, Emma Hien, Blance Owens, and Irene Johnson. The first school board members were Fred Schultz, Henry Hammer and Dick Laughlin.
Fred Menke and Oleander Oson transported the children to school in a team drawn canvas covered wagon which was ordered from Sears-Roebuck.
Later two more rooms were added to the east and three years of high school were operated. Seniors took there last year a Madison High School.
In the 1930’s Mrs. Jennie Adkins was high school principal and later became the Superintendent of Schools in Lake County. John F. Younger became a grade school teacher and later became State Leader of 4-H clubs in South Dakota, based out of Brookings. Ervin Boyd taught high school and then was county agent for many years after that.
In May 1942 the Junius High School was closed and the students were transported to General Beadle High School in Madison. Russell C. Franz and Bertha Ellison were the last teachers to teach at the Junius High School.
High School students attending the last high school year included: Bill Hammer, Gladys Erickson, Elaine Graese, Olga Janke, Joyce Jensen, Lavonne Johnson, Dorothy Koepp, Eugene Koepp, Anna Kruel, Doris Pulford, Marie Ripperger, Clara Seely, Marvin Seely and Florence Taylor.
A successful hot lunch program was launched in 1950 with Siri Schmidt as the supervisor.
Among the later teachers were Mrs. Doris Treloar Randall, Mrs. Ida Meile, Bernice Moriarity, and Mrs. Ida Hein McCool.
The last school board members to server were Maynard Feigen, Leonard Janke and Lowen Richter. Long time serving members included W.H. Boyd and David Pullford. The school district was formally known as the Winfred School District No. 4. The last serving faculty included: Mrs. Rose Tuyman Pulford, Mrs. Rosella Moran Blume, Mrs. Helen Cox and Mrs. Laura Martinson.
The final eighth grade graduates included: Greg Pulford, Dennis Cole, Curtis Caulk, Dennis Nelson, Kenneth Reynolds and Kathy Roling.
The Junius School operated for 52 years and more than satisfactory in its use to the community, often brought on by the support of the community members themselves.
Come back soon and watch this page grow!!